Golo von Basum is a transformational innovation leader with a great passion to create solutions that make a difference to the health and wellbeing of people. With more than 16 years of solid experience in medical device development in a large international company, he combines his profound skills in leadership, networking, transformations, communications, strategic planning, combination of multiple roles, and supplier management with his knowledge in physics, and technology, to create innovative product proposition.
His senior roles in the development of products and platforms included cardio-care, pain relief, diabetes, personal health, and senior living solutions. As Innovation Leader and R&D manager, he defined innovation roadmaps, managed projects within time and budget, and created successful teams to deliver. A key part in his competence is the translations between all different roles that need to work together to achieve the optimal outcomes. This includes a deep understanding of the business, requirements, regulations, and quality.
During his career he developed a clear and pragmatic approach on end-to-end product development processes, which cover early-stage ideation, value proposition definition, pre-development and stage gate product development according to medical device requirements.
His specific knowledge includes: People change management • open innovation • ISO13485 • connected medical devices (IoT) • OEM, ODM & CM supplier scouting and management • quality management • design history file creation.
Golo von Basum is fluent in English, german and Dutch and is well versed in Dutch and German corporate culture. He is a coach and mentor at the EIT Health MCN Network.
- Management and transformation of the product development site for Avent mother and child products, senior living devices and beauty products
- Management of 70 direct employees in 3 departments
- Process Optimization, Testing & Verification and Product Research
- Team design, restructuring and talent promotion
- Networking and member of the Steering Committee for Philips at the High Tech Campus
- Member of the Management Board of Philips Avent
- Development of a new product development team of around 50 people.
- Development and market launch of Bluetooth blood pressure monitors, body analysis scales, infrared thermometers and medical health watches
- Cost reduction of 60% achieved for essential products
- Budget responsibility of more than EUR 8 million
- Cooperation with national and international suppliers and start-ups
- Member of the Management Board of Philips Health Products
- Received FDA 510(k) and CE MDD approvals (app-controlled pain relief devices) within 10 months of project start
- Cost reduction of 70% through international cooperation in Eastern and Central Europe as well as in Asia
- Establishment of the innovation department for the pain relief business unit
- Responsible for R&D Budget, Portfolio, Business Plans, Project Management
- Member of the management board of Philips Pain Therapy
- Project Leader R&D in the Area of Cardio Care and App Development for Personal Health and Wellbeing
- Networks with regional experts (university, medicine, consumers)
- Projects up to 5 million euros and 30 employees
- Cooperations with local suppliers, start-ups, medium-sized companies and insurances
- Scientific project leader in the field of non-invasive glucose measurement, non-invasive blood gas analysis, predictive algorithms for blood sugar, modification of microbiological biofilms
- International scouting and evaluation of start-ups for diabetes products
- Member of the Steering Committee on Sustainability in Research
- More than 30 patents and scientific publications
- Doctoral thesis on “Ultrasensitive real-time analysis of trace gases in human breath” at the Institute of Laser Medicine (magna cum laude).